Saturday, July 9, 2011

my favorite psalm, psalm 139

In just a few more days we will have completed our reading of the psalms.  I hope you have enjoyed reading these worshipful and praised filled writings.  They are important tools in our own worship and should always reminds us of many of the good and wonderful things that are part of God and his creation.  I hope that you will turn to them often and make them a part of your spiritual journey.  I know that there are many that are especially sweet to me because I have heard them so often or because they were special to someone who loved my ( my mother and grandmother often turned to the psalms).  My very favorite psalm is the lovely 139th psalm.  It is a reminder of God's great love for me.

The 139th psalm tells me that no matter where I go, for good or for evil, God does not leave or forsake me.  In our Methodist understanding that means that God never quits loving us even though we may wander far from his will and his way.  He knows every intimate detail of our being; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.  He knows because he has created every thing that is us.  He knew us before we were formed in our mother's womb.  The number of hairs on our head, the color of our eyes, the beats of our heart are part of his grand design.  He knows it all.  How wonderful is that to know that God made us in every detail and he approves of what we look like because we are exactly what he intended.  I may have wanted to be 6 foot tall, but I am exactly the height that God intended and so that makes it the perfect height for me!

No matter where life takes us, we cannot escape the love and care of God.  That knowledge should make us ever bolder in our spiritual pursuit of God.  Though we have fallen far from God's perfect intention, God still loves us and is ready to set our feet on the higher ground.  Don't ever let anyone tell you that you have wandered too far from God for him to find you, forgive you or to love you.  You were and are (and so am I) the "apple" of God's eye.  I don't fully understand that, but this psalm convinces me that God will never abandon me until I am restored to that which he created me for; in relationship with my Creator and my God!

"I am fearfully and wonderfully made!"  How good is that!  I told you bald is beautiful and so is the way that you are made.  God does make junk, he only makes one of a kind, extraordinarily rare and beautiful treasures.  I am one of them......and you are another.  Doesn't that raise your self-esteem a notch or two.  Give thanks and praise to our God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment