Thursday, October 6, 2011

Halelujah, the New Testament!!

I finished reading Malachi Tuesday.  I felt blessed!  I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I am glad to have completed my journey through the Old Testament.  There were parts that I really like, but the prophets kind of bummed me out and yet I found hope in every one of the 39 books of the Old Testament.  This is the Bible of Jesus Day.  These are the inspired writings of those that God trusted with his truth for their day and for ours as well.  Those writings include the wonderful promise of Jesus that we so delight in and I am glad to be reading in Matthew today.  I think this Sunday's sermon will be the first New Testament reading that we have had since Easter.

Before I leave Malachi I must remind you of what God said to sinful Israel, "I have loved you!"  Isn't that a great thing to remember in the midst of the world that we live in where sin and evil seems to be enjoying a period of growth?  God loves us and we should always rejoice at the goodness of God that is revealed in his love.  But don't forget the introspective questions that are posed in Malachi, "How have we sown contempt for your name?"  "How have we defiled you?"  Is there sin in our camp, personal and corporate?  Are we accepting of ways that cause a gradual decay of our spirituality and allegiance to the God who loves us?  It is a question that we should ask every day and respond to lest we fail to do the most important work of our lives which is to "love God with all our heart, soul and mind and to love our neighbor as ourselves."

This is only the 2nd time that I have read the Old Testament in its entirety in a purposeful and disciplined way.  I am grateful for your encouragement and for each of you who has read with me.  I think God has blessed us and made us wiser for our investment in his word.  Now to enjoy the fruit of his love found in the life and work of Jesus of Nazareth.  Welcome to the New Testament.

See you Sunday.....have a God blessed day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment