Monday, January 3, 2011

Peleg and Babel

Genesis 10:25  refers to Peleg and a time when the earth was divided.  What do you think that means....could it be a time when the continents began to shift as referred to in our world geography texts?  Just wondering....what do you think.


And then this Babel thing....is that the same sin that caused Lucifer to be cast down from heaven?  Is it the same sin that Lucifer used to tempt Adam and Eve.....the thought that we, the created, can become as the Creator.  Does that same sin visit each of us in a variety of ways as we seek to be bigger, faster, stronger and to acquire all that we can possible have.  Is that what keeps us from sharing the blessings that we possess as gifts from God with those who need so desperately to be blessed?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dave

3 comments:

  1. The more I read the Word, the more I realize that it’s not laid out in nice, neat chronological order. With that in mind, I wonder if the people of this Tower of Babel time were scattered, traveling in groups of recognizable language, and then the continents divided. Is that how all the people groups began?

    Anyone else get a jolt of excitement to read the word “us” in 11:7? I love finding evidence of Christ from even the beginning of the text!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to reread 11:7 a couple of times because at first I didn't think I was reading it correctly. It finally occurred to me that God was talking to Jesus or other heavenly beings.
    My other thought on this chapter is I wonder why God was concerned about them building a tower to the heavens? Was heaven so close that you could at that time? Was God thinking these crazy humans are seriously wasting their time and resources and I need to stop them? It seems that he was genuinely concerned that they would accomplish making a tower to heaven.

    My thoughts on Peleg and the earth being divided...If God was concerned that the humans could actually build a tower to heaven, then maybe the earth was divided from heaven and not the earth itself starting to separate.

    ReplyDelete