Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How lovely is your dwelling place, Psalm 84

I know that I am behind on my reading (can anyone tell me where we should be?) and I am also behind on my blogging.  I have no good excuses (too much vacation and granddaughters staying with us for a week).  My rhythms are off.  I'll try to do better in the near future.

Faith, Elisabeth and Makayla ( 3 of our 4 granddaughters) are with us for a week while their parents are on a youth mission trip to Chicago.  We love our grandchildren and are always glad to have them in our home, but an 8, 9 and 18 month old can wear an old man out.  Makayla is an absolute delight.  She loves her grandpa and wants to be by my side all of the time.  When I get home, there is no opportunity to read, write or work until she is out for the night (10p.m. or so).  That would work except I know that she is going to be up about 6:30 so I need to go to sleep when she does.  I have never had a granddaughter that wanted to cuddle with Grandpa, that was always Granny's role.  I'm not ever sure that I am good at it, but Makayla wants nothing more than to be at my side.  She loves her Grandpa!

Isn't that the relationship that the psalmist speaks bout in the 84th psalm?  "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty."  wherever God is that is a beautiful place, a place to want to abide in.  We think of the beauty of a forest glade, a white sand beach at sunset, a mountaintop vista; and all of these places are beautiful, but the psalmist says that just to be in the presence of God makes it an extraordinarily wonderful place.  A pigsty, a garbage heap, a dry and arid desert; all of these places become Holy and spiritually renewing when God is present.

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.  For the Lord God is a sun and a shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless."

May we always seek God's face and may we always find rest in him.  May our heart's desire be to seek his presence and glory in his peace.  May you day be filled with God's blessing.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. I've also slipped behind in my reading and had to call on others to find our place to catch up. I'm not sure where the rest of our team is reading, but I read Psalm 112-114 this Wednesday morning.

    Ever thankful to read your 'musings'.

    ReplyDelete