Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Lord is my light, Psalm 27

Thanks to Duane for his good work in the pulpit today.  And thanks to Faith for supporting him as he stepped into the pulpit for the first time.  I know that he and all who worshiped at Faith were blessed by his obedience to God and for the words that he shared.  Ken Howard and I have one more day here at Annual Conference.  We have spent much of our time in elections as we select representatives from Missouri for General and Jurisdictional Conference.  General Conference meets every four years and is the legislative body that provides the Discipline (rules) for governing the United Methodist Church.  Jurisdictional Conference is the body that elects Bishops.  We have had 12 ballots so far to elect 14 clergy and 14 laity to this important work.

David speaks of the great joy of faith as he proclaims "The lord is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear."  The light of God leads us through our lives and illuminates our path.  Later the psalmist will say, "thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."  The word of God that is committed to our hearts and minds guides us in a path of righteousness that honors God and keeps us from the tempter.  "The Lord is the stronghold of my life."  Being in the middle of God's will is the safest place for us to be.  It is in God's heart that we will find peace and eternal security.   The world may be spiraling out of control, but those who trust in God will find strength for the testing that comes in this life. 

"One thing I ask of the Lord, this what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life."  This may be our hearts' desire but God did not create us for palace life in this world.  This journey is meant to be lived in the arena of life to practice our faith and grow stronger in our witness.  Salt was meant for seasoning and light is meant to illuminate the darkness.  We are created to be salt and light.  If we spend our mortality working in God's harvest, we will one day spend an eternity in God's presence, but we should always remember that if we are too heavenly minded we will be no earthly good.  We were created to project the goodness of God upon all that we touch and to usher God's kingdom into the places that we influence.  Be ye therefore agents of the most high God as you do your life's work.

Praying that your new week will be filled with opportunity to speak the good news of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment