Friday, June 3, 2011

The Lord is my Rock Psalm 18-20

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge.  He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise and I am saved from my enemies."  So says David, King of Israel.

My baby sister Susan was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer.  An operation was scheduled to remove 9 inches of the diseased organ.  The surgeon met us in the recovery room and told us that the surgery was successful as far as the colon was concerned, but the cancer had spread to both lobes of the liver.  Our prayer for healing had seemingly not been heard.  The oncologist said our best course of action was chemotherapy that would, hopefully, eradicate the tumors in one of the lobes allowing surgeons to remove the remaining damaged lobe.  We hoped and we prayed and Susan began her treatments.  After 6 treatments we sat with Susan for the results of new PET scans.  What a wonderful encouragement when the Doctor told us that the tumors had been reduced by nearly 50%.  The chemo was to be continued.  At 9 weeks new Pet scans were scheduled.  Patty went with Susan to hear the results of the new scans.  Our prayer was that the Doctor would tell us of new progress as the tumors continue to shrink.  Patty called me with the news, my Sister was weeping for joy because the Doctor had told her that she HAD cancer.  It was in the past tense.  Her cancer no longer appeared on the scans.  We rejoice at the goodness of our God who has mercy upon us and hears our prayers.

I do not understand why God heals some and not others.  Surely he hears the prayers of every sinner.  I only know that I must agree with David when he says "You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.  My prayer for you tonight is that God would reveal himself to you in all of his glory and you would be able to speak in a very personal way of the Glory that God has revealed to you.

I am praying for Duane Rathbun tonight as he prepares to deliver the message at Faith this Sunday.  Hope you will stop in at Faith to be an encouragement to him\.

No comments:

Post a Comment